VENTURES AFRICA – South Africa’s ruling party, ANC, has rejected claims that it has run out of money.
“We refute the claim and allegation that the ANC is broke and facing bankruptcy,” Sapa quoted ANC spokesman, Zizi Kodwa, as having said.
The news wire service also reported that Kodwa added that the ANC was funded mainly through contributions and was “not a profit-making organisation.”
The weekly newspaper, The Mail&Guardian, on Friday reported that the ruling party was having to deal with financial hitches after its electoral financial backing was reduced by R20 million because its share of parliamentary seats had been cut.
Mail&Guardian reported that nearly half of the ANC’s workers could be sacked.
Zodwa said the ANC had used up a large sum of money in its celebrations of 100 years.
“The issue of salaries and staff in the ANC, reported in M&G, is between the ANC and its employees. The ANC’s record speaks for itself. For the past 10 years the ANC has not retrenched any staff members,” Kodwa said.
“We value the sacrifices and contributions our staff have made. We are a caring organisation,” Kodwa added.